Prep time 25 minutes
Cook time 15 minutes
GET AHEAD! You can prepare this dish in advance up to and including step 3. and leave in the fridge until ready to cook for up to 1 day.
- 1kg fresh/frozen prawns with shells and heads on. (Defrost if using frozen)
- 500g fresh/frozen prawns, shelled. (Defrost if using frozen)
- 200gms feta
- 2-3 lemons
- 150g butter
- 2 tsp piri piri dry spice
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 25g flat parsley, chopped
- Prepare the prawns by removing the tail shell, leaving heads on. I cut up the back of the prawn tail and peel the shell off the tail only. Sometimes there is a black line in the groove of the tails, wash this out. IMPORTANT to leave the heads on as these give the flavour otherwise the dish can be bland. This is the slow bit and that is why I pad out the dish with ready prepared shelled prawns.
- Crumble the feta and juice the lemons, put together in a bowl and set aside.
- Butter the bottom and sides of a large casserole (or heavy bottomed saucepan), then layer the prawns with knobs of butter, crushed garlic, piri piri and flat parsley.
- When you are ready to cook, put the casserole over a medium heat for 7-8 minutes, stir and shake the casserole once during this time. When the prawns are cooked they go pink.
- Add in the feta and lemon juice mix and cook for a further 4-5 minutes until the feta is melted giving you a delicious juice with prawns.
Rosy’s tips: Serve with couscous and a crispy green and tomato salad. Have some fresh bread at the ready to soak up the moreish juice.
Enjoy ! Love, Rosy x