Makes 4 medium jars
Preparation time 25 minutes
Cooking time 45 minutes
- 4 medium jars
- 1.5kg whole apricots
- Rind from 2 lemons, thickly cut to include the pith (lots of pectin here which thickens the jam)
- 500gms granulated sugar
N.B. I usually double the recipe to make a 2kg batch as it keeps well and makes great gifts!
- Preheat your oven to 180ºC. Wash your jars and lids then sterilise them by putting the glass bases upside down in the oven for 15 mins. Let cool.
- Wash the apricots well and split in half to remove the stones. Place the apricots in a large saucepan. Keep half the stones aside, discard the rest.
- Add the sugar to the apricots and mix well.
- Add the lemon rind, including the pith, and the remaining stones.
- Slowly bring the pan to the boil so the sugar dissolves, simmer for about 45 minutes stirring regularly. You will notice when it becomes jam, the apricots break up and they become translucent.
- TOP TIP! To test when the jam is ready, put a plate in the freezer and once it is very cold, drop a small teaspoon of jam onto the plate and see if it runs when you tilt the plate. The jam should move very slowly and create a kind of skin on top which creases when tipped - this is ready!
- Remove the stones and any large pieces of lemon rind/pith
- Spoon the jam into the jars and screw the lids on tight, allow to cool and then store